If you love premium coffee and espresso-based beverages, you’re not alone.
As you embark on researching the best super-automatic espresso machines, your mind might be spinning with references to brewing times, getting the best foam, and grinder settings. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the espresso machine qualities to keep an eye out for and recommend different options for your needs.
Is it worth buying a super-automatic espresso machine?
We won’t beat around the bush here—even cheap automatic espresso machines typically cost hundreds of dollars more than the average coffee maker.
However, if you visit your local coffee shop on a daily basis, you’ll eventually recoup that money. Don’t believe us? Let’s run a quick math equation.
$4 for an average cup of specialty coffee + 365 days in a year = $1,460 per year
Aside from recouping your almost $1,500 per year expenses at coffee shops, having a barista-quality automatic espresso machine in your home is more convenient.
Photo by Nathan Dumlao
A super-automatic espresso machine also has a built-in burr grinder that ensures the perfect grind size, so you can save the budget on an expensive espresso coffee grinder.
Also Read: Top 8 Grind And Brew Coffee Makers Reviews
Quick View Of Our Best Picks
|Philips 3200 Series Fully...||1,677 Reviews||See on Amazon|
|Saeco Xelsis Super Automatic...||224 Reviews||See on Amazon|
|Breville BES990BSS Oracle...||285 Reviews||See on Amazon|
|De'Longhi ECAM35020B Dinamica...||439 Reviews||See on Amazon|
|Jura D6 Automatic Coffee...||260 Reviews||See on Amazon|
|Jura A1 Super Automatic Coffee...||360 Reviews||See on Amazon|
|Jura ENA 8 Metropolitan Black...||60 Reviews||See on Amazon|
|Gaggia Cadorna Prestige...||32 Reviews||See on Amazon|
|Gaggia Brera Super Automatic...||1,002 Reviews||See on Amazon|
|Gaggia Anima Prestige...||327 Reviews||See on Amazon|
Last update on 2021-10-16 / As an Amazon Associate, if you buy via the links, Brewcoffeehome earns a commission at no extra cost to you.
How to Choose the Right Automatic Espresso Machine
Before we jump into our best automatic espresso machine reviews, below are some items to consider.
We established that espresso coffee machines are expensive, so just how expensive are they? We picked the best espresso machines for you from the following price ranges:
- Budget: $500 – $1,000
- Medium Budget: $1,000 – $2,000
- High Budget: $2,000+
Generally speaking, the higher the price, the more customization options and espresso drink varieties you’ll have to choose from.
Your local barista may make it look easy to put together your espresso lungo, but dealing with manual or semi-automatic espresso machines is a skill that takes time. Luckily, a good-quality automatic espresso machine takes the guesswork out of the equation so that you receive cup after cup of high-quality coffee.
That said, every espresso machine varies in what it offers. For example, the most sophisticated machines allow you to alter the settings right down to the pressure and brew temperature. If you don’t want to get that involved with your espresso maker, you can choose one that lets you adjust basic items like cup size and coffee style.
Types of Drinks—How Much Do You Need?
If multiple people will use your espresso machine or if you like changing up your coffee beverages, you’ll want to choose an espresso maker that offers different espresso drink styles. In fact, some espresso machines offer a double-digit number of options!
There are espresso machines that brew up more basic beverages like espresso and Americano.
However, if you love lattes, espresso macchiato, cappuccino, and other frothy drinks, you’ll want to ensure that you purchase a machine that comes with a milk frother. If you want to get really fancy, you can even choose one with a milk-based menu.
Automatic Level and Programmability
One of the most exciting features of automatic espresso makers is that you can choose a super automated machine or one that’ll allow a newbie to try your hand at being a barista.
Some questions to ask yourself as you consider your options include:
- Would you like more pre-set menu settings, or do you prefer more flexibility with adjusting the machine’s settings?
- Do you want the steaming to happen automatically for milk drinks with the built-in milk frothing system, or would you prefer to control it via a steam wand?
- Do you want to adorn your latte’s milk with art? If so, an espresso machine with a portafilter is ideal.
If you want full control over the espresso like a pro, consider getting a semi-automatic espresso machine.
Newer Models or Classical Models?
Technology lovers will want to choose newer espresso maker models since they come with the latest features, often including the ability to connect them to your smartphone, newer heating system or form technology. The newer models also tend to have a more minimalistic look, blending in well with modern kitchens.
For the most part, the espresso makers on this list include the latest models. However, we appreciate the classic style of older models, so we’ve included a few of them that still have raving reviews.
Choose From the Popular and Reputable Brands
Among the countless espresso maker brands on the market, we’ve chosen brands for this guide that have a long history of providing high-quality products. The brands you’ll see in our review include:
Nespresso is also a great choice that lets you make espresso a shot or drink at a push of a button. However, they are quite different from the traditional bean-to-cup espresso machines mentioned in this buying guide. They use coffee capsules and different brewing methods, we discuss them in another article: The Best Nespresso Machines, you can take a look if you are interested.
The 10 Best Super Automatic Espresso Machines of 2021
After all this coffee talk, you’re likely ready to get your hands on an espresso maker. We’ve done the heavy work for you and put together this guide on our favorite automatic espresso machines.
1. Saeco Xelsis Super Automatic Espresso Machine, Titanium Metal Front, SM7684/04
The stylish Saeco Xelsis SM7684 will leave your friends wanting to halt their weekly rotations and have every Sunday brunch at your house. Thanks to the Xelsis’ LatteDuo technology, you’ll be able to brew two cups of coffee at a time for them. Since you likely have some picky drinkers in your group, you can switch between brewing 15 different kinds of espresso and coffee drinks.
We’re pretty sure your friends will already be in awe of you by now, so get ready for more “oohs” and “aahs” when you ask them how strong they’d like their drink, how hot they want it, and their preference of coffee to milk ratio. Once you’ve taken their order, the user-friendly touch screen will let you adjust the settings without missing out on the latest gossip going around the table.
- Ceramic burr grinder prevents overheating, so you don’t have to worry about your coffee beans having a burned flavor
- 12 different grind settings so you can brew everything from bold espressos to smooth coffee
- HygieSteam technology cleans the entire milk system with the press of a button
- One of the most expensive options, which is a reflection of its many features
- Some people may not like the individual milk reservoir design
2. Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine w/Milk Frother, Black, EP3221/44
If you’re on a budget but want an espresso machine at home, the Philips 3200 is an excellent option. At first glance, you may mistake this brewer for the Saeco Xelsis since it has a modern control panel and can brew up to two drinks at a time.
Coffee lovers seeking smooth milk froth will love the steam-dispensing milk frother on this Philips machine. Prepare to feel like a barista as you pour milk into the two-part frother and steam it to perfection. That said, if you prefer automatic milk-based menus, the newest automatic milk foaming system LatteGo in the Philips 3200 series offers a hands-off milk system.
If you struggle with getting the proper water temperature for other coffee makers, you’ll be happy to know that the Philips’ Aroma Extract system ensures your cup of Joe stays between a perfect 90 and 98°C.
- Brews four types of coffee ranging from espresso to coffee
- A 12-step burr grinder lets you turn your coffee beans into a fine powder or keep them coarse
- An aroma seal simultaneously preserves coffee bean flavor and prevents loud grinding noises from filling your kitchen
- Affordable price for the impressive features it provides
- The machine shuts off on its own, so it’ll need to reheat again if you want another cup of coffee and don’t catch it in time
- This model doesn’t have a steam wand so you can’t froth milk yourself.
3. Breville Fully Automatic Espresso Machine, Oracle Touch
One glance at all the bells and whistles on the Oracle Touch, and you’ll feel like you brought the best qualities of a coffee shop into your home. Personalization defines this espresso machine, as you can adjust the strength, milk texture, and temperature to your liking and save that setting under your name. Do you have a big household of coffee drinkers? No worries—it can accommodate custom settings for up to eight people.
The Oracle Touch is a dual boiler machine. It comes with time-saving features such as the ability to brew and steam simultaneously. Are you running late for work? The Oracle’s digital temperature control (PID) produces a balanced-tasting cup of coffee that you can nurse as you rush to the office. The premium stainless steel build makes it looks great in your kitchen. This super automatic machine has a higher price tag since it’s the top model of Breville’s coffee machines product line.
- Fully automated with a touch screen where you can choose and customize everything from long black coffee to cappuccinos
- It contains high-quality conical burr grinds and doses out coffee like commercial machines
- An Over Pressure Valve prevents your coffee from tasting bitter
- The warm-up time takes longer than other super-automatic espresso machines
4. De’Longhi ECAM35020B Dinamica Automatic Coffee & Espresso Machine
When summer rolls around, your body doesn’t stop craving caffeine, but a steaming hot cup of coffee may not seem appetizing. So, the Dinamica offers the option to brew iced coffee that has a rich, full flavor—a far cry from the watered-down version you may get at your local coffee shop.
Dinamica is also a great option for vegans, as the integrated advanced milk frother lets you make lattes, cappuccinos, and other milk-based espressos with long-lasting foam, even if you’re using milk substitutes. Regardless of your milk preference, we recommend using a cold product for maximum froth.
- Grinds the exact amount of coffee beans you need, so leftover grinds don’t affect your most recent brew
- Five settings let you adjust your espresso strength from extra-mild to extra-strong
- It takes less than 40 seconds to heat up, making it perfect for people who are on the go
- No display screen, so you’ll need to keep the manual out until you memorize its functions
5. Jura D6 Automatic Coffee Machine
Sometimes more features aren’t better. The Jura D6 is a wonderful option for espresso-loving people who suffer from arthritic hands due to the machine’s ergonomic knob design. In fact, you don’t even need to touch the brewer to start it up—anyone can control it from an optional smartphone connection.
If you’re a coffee enthusiast, you’ve likely experienced the negative impact of poor water quality on coffee flavor. For this reason, the Jura D6 has CLEARYL water filtration system to ensure you enjoy the purest coffee flavor and aroma without heavy metals or chlorine getting in the way. It comes with an adjustable coffee spout to fit different coffee cups, which you’ll appreciate since you can also adjust your coffee volume.
- Produces six varieties of milk-based coffee with fine, smooth foam
- Minimalist design that won’t detract from your kitchen décor
- Plain text display with intuitive functions for people who aren’t well-versed in technology
- You may have to jiggle the grinder once in a while to encourage the coffee beans to feed through
6. Jura A1 Super Automatic Coffee Machine
It’s hard to beat the high-quality coffee taste and texture that the Jura A1 produces. Using a special Pulse Extraction Process, you can make difficult drinks like ristretto or espresso shot with barista-like standards. That’s because engineers designed the burr grinder to cut at an angle that reduces the grinding time in half while still ensuring your coffee beans have a full aroma and flavor.
The single-cup Jura A1 makes life easy for people wanting quality coffee without spending much time making it happen. It has some—but not an overwhelming number of—programmable options. The one touch screen allows you to keep three different coffee cup sizes and two coffee strengths on the main menu.
- A compact design lets you squeeze this coffee machine into tight spaces on your kitchen counter
- Permanent program functions to save you time
- A multi-level burr grinder ensures coffee beans are equal in size for a balanced cup of coffee
- The water tank is small, so you’ll likely need to refill it after two or three cups
7. Jura ENA 8 Metropolitan Black Automatic Coffee Machine
If you’re drawn to the compact, one-cup nature of the Jura A1 but feel like you want something a little more advanced, look no further than the Jura ENA 8. The crystal carafe water tank lets you store plenty of water for cup after cup of coffee, while the cylinder remains thin enough that this coffee maker takes up less than 11 inches of counter space.
During early mornings when you wake up groggy, you’ll appreciate the user-friendly color display. With intuitive touch buttons and options to choose the type of coffee you want, you won’t have to worry about finding a latte macchiato in your cup when you wanted a cappuccino with smooth foam.
Also Read: Best 8 Jura Espresso Machine Reviews
- Choose from 10 different specialty coffees
- Allows you to program your favorite brewing temperature, coffee strength, and hot water temperature
- You can make a large cup of coffee in the morning and cut the size in half in the evening, so you don’t consume too much caffeine before bed
- Water tank capacity is smaller than other machines
- The power switch is behind the machine, making access difficult if you place it against a wall
8. Gaggia Cadorna Prestige Super-Automatic Espresso Machine
If you’re the type of person who wants an espresso lungo one minute and café au lait the next, you’ll appreciate that the Cadorna Prestige offers 14 different beverage options. Made in Italy, this is one of the best automatic espresso machines for tailoring coffee to your preference—you can even save user profiles for a family of up to four.
The Cadorna Prestige is ideal for people who live fast-paced lives since it has a quick heat boiler system. Don’t be surprised if your espresso tastes better than what you purchase at a coffee shop; the machine’s pre-brewing feature enhances flavor by soaking the coffee grounds in water before beginning to brew.
- A splash-free espresso tray ensures you get a perfect crema layer with every cup
- It contains an automatic cleaner so you can run to your next appointment with an empty sink and coffee in hand
- Ten grinder settings; you can brew a light cup of coffee with coarse grinds to a rich espresso with fine grinds
- Easy to maintain and clean with the removable brew group and drip tray
- Even though it’s the newer model, the cost is higher than other Gaggia’s machines in this guide.
9. Gaggia Brera
If your dream is to learn how to become a barista, the Brera will make you feel like you have a coffee shop right in your kitchen. A moveable knob lets you transition the stainless steel Panarello from steaming froth to preparing hot water for tea—all while you brew espresso.
Creating personalized cups of coffee is at the forefront of the Brera. Using Optiaroma technology, you can adjust how intense and rich you want your espresso by choosing from one of three options, which will determine how much coffee it puts into your cup. Shh! You don’t have to tell your friends that this machine is doing all the hard work for you.
- You can set the machine to customize to the length of your coffee cup
- Burned coffee flavors is an issue of the past, thanks to adjustable ceramic grinders
- It’s a compact machine with only 12.4 inches high, so it fits well under cabinets and save your kitchen space
- May have too many options for someone looking for a quick cup of coffee
- Smaller water reservoir, you need to refill water more often
10. Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee Machine
It wouldn’t be right to talk about the best automatic espresso machines without including Gaggia’s Anima Prestige. Whether you’re a germaphobe or simply like keeping a clean kitchen, you’ll love that this coffee machine comes with a quick self-cleaning system that washes the milk system as soon as the last drop of milk enters your cup.
Furthermore, the Animal Prestige automatically cleans itself every time you switch it off and on. Long story short? You can say goodbye to the taste of yesterday’s coffee in your cup.
- You don’t have to guess when to descale this coffee machine, as it’ll alert you and walk you through the process
- An aroma lid preserves coffee flavor so that every sip tastes like it’s from a recently harvested bean
- The milk carafe has a double chamber, so you can prepare the foamy cappuccino toppings
- If you like your coffee sizzling hot, it may feel more warm than hot
THE VERDICT: What’s the Best Super Automatic Espresso Machine?
We’ve covered outstanding super automatic espresso machine options, but if we had to narrow them down to just three, the following are the ones we’d choose.
With its 15 different coffee drink options and two-cup brewing capability, it’s hard to deny that the Saeco Xelsis is a well-rounded espresso machine. It offers customizations and provides high-quality performance for consistently delicious cups of coffee.
Best Budget Option
Philips 3200 Series
The good-looking Philips 3200 is an excellent choice for people wanting a more affordable automatic espresso machine. A modern control panel and various customization options make it a solid option for meeting most of your beverage needs.
Best for Espresso Purist
Authentic espresso seekers will love Jura A1’s high-quality design. At a push of the button, you can become your own barista as you test out its various coffee settings.