When you’re craving a refreshing beverage but want to avoid the unpleasant side effects of caffeine, or just want to get a caffeine-free drink for your kid, it can be hard to find drinks at Starbucks. Some beverages have naturally occurring caffeine, but there are also hidden caffeinated additives to avoid. We’ve scoured the Starbucks menu to find these caffeine-free Starbucks drinks.
Not All Non-Coffee Drinks at Starbucks are Caffeine-Free
Many Starbucks locations classify their beverages as either “coffee drinks” or “non-coffee drinks.” However, not all non-coffee drinks at Starbucks are completely caffeine-free. You’ll need to look closely at the menu to be sure. Here are some caffeinated drinks to look out for.
Does Decaf Coffee at Starbucks Contain Caffeine?
You might think that decaf coffee at Starbucks would be caffeine-free, but all decaf coffee has some caffeine in it. All coffee beans grow with caffeine in them, and there is no naturally decaffeinated coffee plant. To become decaf coffee, the beans must be processed to remove the caffeine from them.
The process of removing caffeine from coffee was initially discovered by accident and is now carried out by specialist decaffeination companies . While there are several methods for decaffeinating coffee, all decaf retains some caffeine. Starbucks decaf contains:
- Tall – 20 mg caffeine
- Grande – 25 mg caffeine
- Venti – 30 mg caffeine
Tea Drinks at Starbucks Contain Lower Caffeine
All tea leaves naturally contain caffeine as well. While most teas have lower levels of caffeine than natural coffee beans, they have more than decaf coffee. Black tea and green tea are caffeinated, but herbal teas, which contain no tea leaves, are not. Matcha, which is made from ground Japanese green tea leaves, is more concentrated and thus contains more caffeine.
The caffeine content for each tea Starbucks drink is:
|Green Tea||20 mg||25 mg||30 mg||50 mg|
|Black Tea||20 mg||25 mg||30 mg||50 mg|
|Matcha||55 mg||80 mg||110 mg||120 mg|
|Chai Tea Latte||70 mg||95 mg||120 mg||N/A|
If you thought you could avoid caffeine by ordering hot cocoa, you’d still be mistaken. Chocolate naturally contains caffeine – 50 to 60 mg in two ounces of 70% dark chocolate  – and Starbucks cocoa beverages contain a substantial amount of chocolate. In a Starbucks hot chocolate, for example, you’ll find:
- Tall – 20 mg caffeine
- Grande – 25 mg caffeine
- Venti – 30 mg caffeine
Green Coffee Extract?
There’s one last hidden source of caffeine in Starbucks’ beverages – Green Coffee Extract . This additive, made from unroasted coffee beans, adds caffeine without adding any of the dark, roasted coffee flavors. For example, all Starbucks Refreshers beverages contain Green Coffee Extract, even though they taste nothing like a brewed coffee. One such Starbucks drink, the Star Drink, contains:
- Tall – 35 mg caffeine
- Grande – 45 mg caffeine
- Venti – 70 mg caffeine
- Trenta – 90 mg caffeine
If you are looking for a caffeine kick, check out our list of the most caffeinated Starbucks drinks.
18 Caffeine-Free Starbucks Beverages
With all these hidden caffeine sources, it can be hard to tell which Starbucks beverages are truly caffeine-free. Which ones are safe? Here are 18 Starbucks drinks without caffeine.
|Drink Category||Starbucks Drink||Calories||Sugar|
|Hot Teas||Mint Majesty||0||0|
|Hot Teas||Peach Tranquility||0||0|
|Hot Drinks||White Hot Chocolate||350 (Tall) / 440 (Grande) / 540 (Venti)||41g (Tall) / 55g (Grande) / 68g (Venti)|
|Hot Drinks||Caramel Apple Spice||310 (Tall) / 380 (Grande) / 460 (Venti)||54g (Tall) / 70g (Grande) / 87g (Venti)|
|Hot Drinks||Steamed Apple Juice||170 (Tall) / 220 (Grande) / 280 (Venti)||39g (Tall) / 50g (Grande) / 62g (Venti)|
|Hot Drinks||Cinnamon Dolce Crème||280 (Tall) / 360 (Grande) / 430 (Venti)||32g (Tall) / 42g (Grande) / 53g (Venti)|
|Hot Drinks||Vanilla Crème||280 (Tall) / 350 (Grande) / 430 (Venti)||33g (Tall) / 43g (Grande) / 54g (Venti)|
|Hot Drinks||Steamed Milk||160 (Tall) / 200 (Grande) / 260 (Venti)||15g (Tall) / 19g (Grande) / 25g (Venti)|
|Iced Teas||Iced Passion Tango Tea||0||0|
|Iced Teas||Iced Passion Tango Tea Lemonade||35 (Tall) / 50 (Grande) / 70 (Venti) / 90 (Trenta)||8g (Tall) / 11g (Grande) / 16g (Venti) / 21g (Trenta)|
|Cold Drinks||Iced Guava Passionfruit Drink||140 (Tall) / 190 (Grande) / 290 (Venti)||25g (Tall) / 33g (Grande) / 49g (Venti)|
|Cold Drinks||Lemonade||80 (Tall) / 120 (Grande) / 160 (Venti) / 200 (Trenta)||19g (Tall) / 27g (Grande) / 38g (Venti) / 45g (Trenta)|
|Cold Drinks||Blended Strawberry Lemonade||130 (Tall) / 190 (Grande) / 260 (Venti)||31g (Tall) / 45g (Grande) / 62g (Venti)|
|Frappuccino||Strawberry Funnel Cake Crème Frappuccino||270 (Tall) / 380 (Grande) / 450 (Venti)||29g (Tall) / 41g (Grande) / 53g (Venti)|
|Frappuccino||Caramel Ribbon Crunch Crème Frappuccino||300 (Tall) / 420 (Grande) / 510 (Venti)||33g (Tall) / 46g (Grande) / 60g (Venti)|
|Frappuccino||Strawberry Crème Frappuccino Blended Beverage||250 (Tall) / 370 (Grande) / 460 (Venti)||32g (Tall) / 51g (Grande) / 65g (Venti)|
|Frappuccino||Vanilla Bean Crème Frappuccino Blended Beverage||260 (Tall) / 380 (Grande) / 470 (Venti)||35g (Tall) / 52g (Grande) / 68g (Venti)|
|Frappuccino||White Chocolate Crème Frappuccino Blended Beverage||250 (Tall) / 380 (Grande) / 450 (Venti)||31g (Tall) / 49g (Grande) / 60g (Venti)|
These hot teas contain no actual tea leaves, making them completely caffeine-free. If you like your tea stronger, get a grande instead of a venti. You’ll get two tea bags either way, so the extra water in the venti just waters down the flavor.
1. Mint Majesty
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Main Ingredients: Spearmint, Peppermint, Lemon Verbena
This delicious herbal tea blend of mint and lemon verbena is equal parts refreshing and comforting. The Mint Majesty is also totally free of caffeine, so it will leave you feeling uplifted without any of the jitters you might find from caffeinated teas.
2. Peach Tranquility
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Main Ingredients: Apple, Candied Pineapple, Rose Hips, Peaches, Chamomile, Lemon Verbena
If you’re looking for a tea that tastes more fruity than herbal, the Peach Tranquility should hit the spot. This herbal tea contains more real fruit than actual herbal ingredients, and the result tastes almost tropical. It’s perfect over ice – yes, you can do that – to sip while running errands.
For many Starbucks fans, one of the main appeals of a coffee beverage is its warmth. You can get that same cozy feeling without the caffeine by choosing one of these options.
3. White Hot Chocolate
- Calories: 350 (Tall) / 440 (Grande) / 540 (Venti)
- Sugar: 41g (Tall) / 55g (Grande) / 68g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Milk, White Chocolate Sauce, Whipped Cream, Vanilla Syrup
While standard hot cocoa contains a noticeable amount of caffeine, white chocolate doesn’t contain any real cocoa, and neither does the White Hot Chocolate. Instead, this traditional hot chocolate is made from sugar, vanilla, and cocoa butter, which is why this sweet treat is entirely caffeine-free.
4. Caramel Apple Spice
- Calories: 310 (Tall) / 380 (Grande) / 460 (Venti)
- Sugar: 54g (Tall) / 70g (Grande) / 87g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Apple Juice, Cinnamon Dolce Syrup, Whipped Cream, Vanilla Syrup, Caramel Sauce
The Caramel Apple Spice hot beverage evokes a feeling reminiscent of sipping hot apple cider at the renaissance fair. This drink starts with steamed apple juice mixed with cinnamon syrup and is topped with a luxurious mountain of whipped cream. Drinking it feels as decadent as it is wholesome.
5. Steamed Apple Juice
- Calories: 170 (Tall) / 220 (Grande) / 280 (Venti)
- Sugar: 39g (Tall) / 50g (Grande) / 62g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Apple Juice
If you love the sound of the Caramel Apple Spice, but don’t love all the calories and sugar, you might try the Steamed Apple Juice. Without the syrups and whipped cream, this beverage is 100% apple juice, and 100% wholesome.
6. Cinnamon Dolce Crème
- Calories: 280 (Tall) / 360 (Grande) / 430 (Venti)
- Sugar: 32g (Tall) / 42g (Grande) / 53g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Milk, Cinnamon Dolce Syrup, Whipped Cream, Vanilla Syrup, Cinnamon Dolce Topping
The Cinnamon Dolce Crème is a simple beverage at its core but tastes more sinful than it actually is. First, your barista blends steamed milk with cinnamon dolce syrup, then tops it with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon dolce sprinkles. Then, you sip and enjoy.
7. Vanilla Crème
- Calories: 280 (Tall) / 350 (Grande) / 430 (Venti)
- Sugar: 33g (Tall) / 43g (Grande) / 54g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Milk, Whipped Cream, Vanilla Syrup
If you’re looking for a beverage that’s decadent without being overwhelming, you may enjoy the Vanilla Crème hot beverage. With a base of vanilla-flavored steamed milk and a sweet dollop of whipped cream, this simple drink is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
8. Steamed Milk
- Calories: 160 (Tall) / 200 (Grande) / 260 (Venti)
- Sugar: 15g (Tall) / 19g (Grande) / 25g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Milk
It doesn’t get much simpler than this, but that’s sort of the appeal of the Steamed Milk. You want something hot and satisfying but don’t want to be loaded down with a bunch of sugar, fat, and other additives. Choose from a base of 2%, skim, soy, coconut, or almond milk for a satisfying treat for anyone.
Most of the drinks on the Starbucks Iced Tea menu are made with tea leaves, and so contain caffeine. However, these two items are made from a caffeine-free herbal tea that is sure to satisfy.
9. Iced Passion Tango Tea
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Main Ingredients: Hibiscus Flowers, Cinnamon, Apple, Lemongrass
This tasty herbal tea is a delightful way to cool down without the caffeine or the calories. The Iced Passion Tango Tea is brewed strong to begin with, so your barista will add a little water to tone it down a bit. You can ask for it with “no water” for a more intense flavor if you’d like.
10. Iced Passion Tango Tea Lemonade
- Calories: 35 (Tall) / 50 (Grande) / 70 (Venti) / 90 (Trenta)
- Sugar: 8g (Tall) / 11g (Grande) / 16g (Venti) / 21g (Trenta)
- Main Ingredients: Lemonade, Hibiscus Flowers, Cinnamon, Apple, Lemongrass
The Iced Passion Tango Tea Lemonade, just as it sounds, adds lemonade instead of water to the Iced Passion Tango Tea. This sweet, tangy twist is perfect for sipping under an umbrella on the patio.
If you’re looking for something cold but a little sweeter than the traditional iced tea offerings, a selection from the Cold Drinks menu may satisfy your craving.
11. Iced Guava Passionfruit Drink
- Calories: 140 (Tall) / 190 (Grande) / 290 (Venti)
- Sugar: 25g (Tall) / 33g (Grande) / 49g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Guava Flavored Juice Blend, Coconut Milk, Pineapple Ginger Syrup
This tropical pink drink will have you feeling like you’re sitting on a Hawaiian beach in no time. The Iced Guava Passionfruit Drink is made from a delicious guava juice blend and finished with a splash of coconut milk for a creamy sweet treat.
- Calories: 80 (Tall) / 120 (Grande) / 160 (Venti) / 200 (Trenta)
- Sugar: 19g (Tall) / 27g (Grande) / 38g (Venti) / 45g (Trenta)
- Main Ingredients: Water, Lemon Juice, Sugar
This drink is a classic for a reason. Tart, sweet, and delightfully refreshing, Starbucks Lemonade is a satisfying caffeine-free beverage that’s sure to take you back to memories of summers past.
13. Blended Strawberry Lemonade
- Calories: 130 (Tall) / 190 (Grande) / 260 (Venti)
- Sugar: 31g (Tall) / 45g (Grande) / 62g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Lemonade, Creme Frappuccino Syrup, Strawberry Puree
If you love the tang of lemonade but crave something a little more complex, the Blended Strawberry Lemonade may be right up your alley. This drink is slushy, cold, and creamy, with a tantalizing hint of strawberry.
Even the caffeinated versions of these dessert beverages are more cream than coffee. Still, many of these caffeine-free drinks at Starbucks have caffeinated counterparts, so make sure to pay attention when you order.
14. Strawberry Funnel Cake Crème Frappuccino
- Calories: 270 (Tall) / 380 (Grande) / 450 (Venti)
- Sugar: 29g (Tall) / 41g (Grande) / 53g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Creme Frappuccino Syrup, Whipped Cream, Strawberry Puree, Funnel Cake Syrup, Funnel Cake Pieces
This dessert in a glass is sure to take you back to memories of hot, fresh funnel cake at the fair. Make sure to emphasize the creme when you order – the Strawberry Funnel Cake Frappuccino does have caffeine.
15. Caramel Ribbon Crunch Crème Frappuccino
- Calories: 300 (Tall) / 420 (Grande) / 510 (Venti)
- Sugar: 33g (Tall) / 46g (Grande) / 60g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Milk, Creme Frappuccino Syrup, Whipped Cream, Caramel Sauce, Caramel Sugar Topping
The Caramel Ribbon Crunch Creme Frappuccino tastes like a sippable grownup caramel sundae. It’s a rich and decadent beverage that’s sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. Again, remember to emphasize the creme to ensure you get the caffeine-free version.
16. Strawberry Crème Frappuccino Blended Beverage
- Calories: 250 (Tall) / 370 (Grande) / 460 (Venti)
- Sugar: 32g (Tall) / 51g (Grande) / 65g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Milk, Creme Frappuccino Syrup, Strawberry Puree, Whipped Cream
This sweet treat has no caffeinated counterpart, so feel free to leave out the creme when you order. The Strawberry Creme Frappuccino tastes just like strawberry ice cream. It doesn’t get much more refreshing than that.
17. Vanilla Bean Crème Frappuccino Blended Beverage
- Calories: 260 (Tall) / 380 (Grande) / 470 (Venti)
- Sugar: 35g (Tall) / 52g (Grande) / 68g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Milk, Creme Frappuccino Syrup, Vanilla Whipped Cream, Vanilla Bean Powder
There’s nothing wrong with a little bit of vanilla once in a while, and this delightfully simple Vanilla Bean Creme Frappuccino is anything but boring. There is a Caffe Vanilla Frappuccino on the menu as well, though, so be sure to order carefully.
18. White Chocolate Crème Frappuccino Blended Beverage
- Calories: 250 (Tall) / 380 (Grande) / 450 (Venti)
- Sugar: 31g (Tall) / 49g (Grande) / 60g (Venti)
- Main Ingredients: Milk, Creme Frappuccino Syrup, Whipped Cream, White Chocolate Mocha Sauce
The White Chocolate Creme Frappuccino looks deceptively simple, but the rich white chocolate flavors are surprisingly decadent. Again, make sure you’re ordering the right beverage, and not the White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino, which does contain caffeine.
Apart from the drinks on the regular menu, there are many viral Tiktok Starbucks drinks that don’t contain any caffeine, check it out for more options.
Trying to avoid caffeine at Starbucks is harder than it may appear at first glance, as not all non-coffee drinks at Starbucks are caffeine-free. We hope you enjoyed this list of 18 Starbucks drinks without caffeine. Please let us know in the comments if you found it helpful.
How do you decaffeinate coffee? – https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180917-how-do-you-decaffeinate-coffee
The Nutrition Source – Dark Chocolate – https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/dark-chocolate/
Green Coffee Extract FAQs – https://en.starbucks.at/coffee/learn/green-coffee-extract-faqs
Starbuck’s Nutrition information – https://www.starbucks.com/menu